Monday, May 20, 2013

What's Going On in May

NEW COMIC OUT - TOOK ME TOO LONG

I just finished and posted a new breast implants related comic to http://www.strongandstacked.com .  This one took me a lot longer to finish than I had wanted.  The main culprit was computer issues.

I've explained before that I have a quadcore machine running Windows XP 32 bit that I've owned for several years now and also a newer Alienware six core pc running Windows 7 64 bit.  I have tons of Daz Studio content, models etc on the quadcore.  My workflow for creating animations and comics is totally set up on that machine.  So I have still been using it to create a lot of the content for my two websites.

I've been slowly migrating my workflow and tools over to the newer more powerful machine .  But an incident that happened during these past two weeks have givenme a strong shove toward the new computer.

COMPUTER PROBLEMS, LO RES MODELS

I started working on the breast implants related comic a couple weeks back on the quadcore.  On that machine, I often use lower resolution models because it struggles with raytracing renders when you give it models with high polygon counts.  So for this outing I thought ok instead of using Victoria 4 - the relatively hi res model I usually use for animations and comics - I'll instead use a couple of lo res models.

A lo res police officer woman model for one character in the comic and Victoria 3 - lower res than Vicky 4 - for the main character.  The renders seemed to be going relatively quickly, but of course at the expense of detail.  Those two models look a bit more polygonal/lower res.  (If you read the latest comic - Big Fak Boob Star - you may notice this a bit).

But I figured ok going with those lower res models will speed up content creation this month using the quadcore and I needed to get the comic finished

I started to get the dreaded blue screen of death while working on the comic.  At first I thought it was just the rendering that was doing it.  But then randomly I'd get it while doing other things.  I came to realize after several days of intermittent crashes - losing lots of work along the way - that something's up with my quad core.

I started the lengthy investigation process - which burns precious time - but a bit into that I decided screw it, I need to get a comic out.  So I switched the creation of the comic to the six core pc.

That took a while.  Once I'd set things up on the six core pc for the comic, things went quickly.  But it definitely wasted days getting things all moved over for the comic.

GOING FORWARD THE REST OF THE MONTH
After this experience, I think I'm going to have to start using the six core machine much more - maybe exclusively.  I want to debug what the hell is going on with the older machine.  But that takes time.

This blew a hole in the middle of the month of May where I wasn't able to creat content for my two websites.  So now I have to play catch up at the end of May and get cranking.

Here's the order of things that I'm going to do in the short term.

1. New BEGiantess Comic.  I have to do this next.  Hopefully will only take a few days. I got a request from a member to do a gentle giantess story.  That resonates with me because I've been doing dominant story after dominant story for BEGiantess and it's high time I did some gentler stuff for that website.

2. FMG Comic for Strong and Stacked.  Gotta do this as number 2. And do it before the end of May

3. BE Comic for Strong and Stacked.  I'm inclined to do a second installment of Big Fake Boob Star.  I've got the workflow all set up so it won't take long to do more material for that comic .


So that's what's going on

No comments:

Post a Comment